After having been diagnosed with Coeliac it took a while for it to sink in. I would almost say I went through a miniature version of the five stages of grief. At first there was denial, where I went on a binge weekend just eating anything and everything that I figured I wouldn't be able to again. Then there was a small amount of anger in being frustrated at how much of an impact it would make on my life. I then progressed to bargaining with myself, figuring that if I ate good 95% of the time, surely it was okay if I just had a sneak of gluten-ladden food. I would have my mini-depressive episodes when I thought too much about all my favourite take-aways that I would never be able to have again, McDonalds, KFC, hot chickens, all the delicious crisp flavours. At last I came to resignation/acceptance. I decided that it wasn't worth all the heart-ache of feeling bad about it. Its not something I chose to have, nor something I can change, so I may as well embrace it.
Since those first few days I have come a long way. I am learning new ways of cooking old recipes (yay for Nana's Curried Prawn recipe still turning out awesome with the use of Tamari rather than Soy Sauce). I am trying new things, like my new love of BBQ vege chips. I am learning how too cook from scratch rather than relying on those jar sauces or sachets, which I think will definitely lead to a healthier lifesyle what with the fresh chilli and ginger etc. I am also over the moon that I can still eat a lot of the 'junk foods' that I love, including a large portion of Cadbury chocolate and Magnum icecreams.
I am also very lucky to have such a supportive partner who straight away said he didn't mind eating gluten-free food, which meant a lot less worry about how I was going to feed us both! I am more than happy for him to eat 'normal' foods which I don't normally eat anyway but its good to know that he is enjoying the new dinners we are trying.
I plan to use this blog to document new recipes that I try, review restaurants that I eat at and generally just rant away about my new found way of life as a 'Food Nazi', checking everything I eat :)
No comments:
Post a Comment